Sunday, 16 December 2012

Temples in Kyoto - Part I

We were in Kyoto for five nights and probably could have stayed more. There is SO much to do in Kyoto. There are tons and tons of temples in Kyoto. They take quite some time to get to then walk around and enjoy so we had to pick a handful to visit (primarily based on things the kids would like). Here is one of them, called the Golden Pavilion (not the official Japanese name) but people all seem to know what you are talking about when you say Golden Pavilion. What an amazing temple! Beautiful golden color and next to the water...very unique! 
 The walk to get to temples are usually quite peaceful and serene.
A zen garden, which is a garden of many rocks. All the rocks are raked in absolutely perfect straight lines. I've never seen one of these before and found myself just staring in awe at the perfection of it. 
Amazing views...to get to these views took quite a bit of hiking. Maddie was so proud of herself for hiking the entire way. She still talks about it (three months later...). 
 They had these water wells at a lot of the temples. Not sure what they signify but Maddie loved playing in them and pouring water with the long cups...
 After all the walking, we had to stop and try a Japanese snow cone. Very delicious!
Girls walking around in traditional kimonos...we saw so many women walking around in these.
The next temple was selected basically based on stepping stones I had read about. I thought Maddie would love it and she did! On the path to find the stepping stones...

Found them!
 Pulling Daddy along...
Lily was there too! 
 Family photo at the beautiful gardens at the temple...
 Daddy with his girls...
 We saw all sorts of fish and turtles...the girls loved it!
An afternoon traditional Japanese tea at a tea house. Great experience...lovely tea! Have I mentioned how much I love Japanese culture?!?! 
 More Kyoto temples coming up...

2 comments:

  1. kt, love love love the pictures! Looks like you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie all your photos brought back our Japanese trip memories in 2007 (pre-Siena).

    ReplyDelete