Saturday, 22 December 2012

Arashiyama

To take a break from temples, we decided to spend a day in Arashiyama. Arashiyama is an area to the west of Kyoto. It was beautiful and we had such a lovely day here. After being on a bus for close to an hour to get here, we let the girls run around for awhile. Such a beautiful place!
I wonder what Lily is eating? She seemed to like it! There were several times I had to give them food that I literally had no idea what it was...thank goodness they don't have food allergies.
We decided to take a trip on the Segano Steam Train. This is known as one of Japan's most scenic train journeys. While waiting at the station for our train to arrive, there were miniature trains that the kids could operate. A big hit with Maddie!
Here comes our train...

Checking out the scenery from onboard the train...
Not to worry...no little hands or arms were injured during the trip despite what the pictures may show :)
Japanese people onboard the train loved Maddie. Many wanted to take a photo with her...
Hehe! She loved all the attention this time (other times are different!)...
Peace sign...
Beautiful beautiful scenery...how amazing is God's glorious creation!
Ice cream on board for Maddie & I...Lily was sleeping soundly...

We got off the train and took a walk through the bamboo groves. Amazing...pictures don't do it justice!
After the train ride, our next stop was to Iwatayama Monkey Park. I was a bit hesitant to do this because of everything I read about the LONG, STEEP hike up the mountain to get to the park. Well, we decided it would be silly to miss it and carrying two kids is extra exercise, right?! Much to our surprise, Maddie enthusiastically climbed the entire way up AND down the mountain. And boy was it steep and quite a distance. Good job Maddie...
Once you make it to the top, you were rewarded with the most amazing views of Kyoto! Definitely worth the hike...
There are also 20 or 30 monkeys walking around.
 
 To feed the monkeys we had to go into the hut and stay behind the wire fencing...
The kids loved it and I'm so glad we went to the monkey park. When leaving the park, there was this massive slide that the girls loved going down!
Such a wonderful day spent here!

No comments:

Post a Comment