Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Off to school we go...

In January, Lily started nursery at a local preschool and Maddie started pre-kindergarten at a big international school! Maddie joined the pre-k class second semester (or mid-year for you non-Americans). It turned out to be brilliant! Her whole class was new, including teacher and all, so it was such an easy adjustment as opposed to joining a class that had already been together half a year. 

The "big" school has been absolutely amazing for Maddie and I've seen her change in front of my very own eyes into a very confident and very outgoing little girl. I was so worried because of its size..there were 6 pre-k classes with 20 kids each. All the pre-k students have lunch and recess together. So several times all 120 students were in one place. I can't even imagine...as my pre-k class had around 10 kids! However, these kids are amazing! They are completely unfazed by it all and just go with it...amazing I tell you. It is an 'American' school but in reality it is a very international school. Out of the 20 kids in Maddie's class there were 7 American kids (many of whom have never actually lived in America). I love this...Maddie is learning SO much about so many different countries and cultures. Her teacher (who was lovely) was British. 

Anyways, I'm sure as I get past the January photos, there will be more to tell you about her school...

First day shots...so much excitement!
 My biggest girl is SO big...
 LOVE the hats. Students are not allowed to play outside without them...much like Australia.
Backpacks looking massive on little girls...
LOVE this shot. Lily was so excited because Maddie was so excited. Lily's excitement quickly faded when she realized I would not be attending school with her.
 ALWAYS looking up to big sister....
This was Maddie's second day of school, that is her PE uniform, BUT it was her first day to ride the bus to school. That is right, my 3 year took the bus to and from school the entire semester. Sounds crazy doesn't it...it is the norm here. In fact 98% of Maddie's class arrived by bus. Maddie LOVED the bus, made many friends and I couldn't be more proud of her! She is definitely a brave little girl...
And here is the bus! On the bus each kid has to wear a seatbelt and a bus auntie rides with them and helps out as needed. Quite different from the US... Our neighbors in our condo had 3 kids that rode the bus with her for the first couple of months, but they moved condos during the year and were no longer on the same bus with her. Mommy's eyes were welling up with tears at this point...just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment